Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Diet Rehab, pgs 44-52

Chapter 2 - The Secret of Gradual Detox

What is gradual detox?  Gradual detox is a way of slowly letting go of an unhealthy habit by gradually replacing it with something else, allowing you to circumvent the possibility of withdrawal.

Gradual detox is accompanied through the two cornerstones of Diet Rehab: pitfalls and boosters.

Pitfalls are the foods, activities and thought patterns that ultimately lower your supplies of the brain chemicals you need to feel healthy, happy and energized.  A pitfall food--something high in starch, sugar, or fat--temporarily lifts your serotonin or dopamine levels, but the high is soon followed by a crash, and as we've seen, these foods undermine your body's ability to make its own stores of these vital brain chemicals.  A pitfall activity is any type of behavior that likewise lowers your stores of vital brain chemicals.

Boosters are the opposite of pitfalls--they're foods, activities and thought patterns that boost your stores of serotonin and dopamine, giving you the physical and emotional nourishment that your body, mind and spirit crave.  Activities can also boost your brain chemistry.

Are You Hungry For Serotonin?  (from page 73)

01- I feel that I'm not getting enough of one or more of the following: calm, serenity, peace, or quiet. (3)
02- When I feel blue, my idea of comfort might include one or more of the following: cuddling, seeing a therapist, meditation, yoga, a gentle stroll, a romantic movie, peaceful music, or talking to someone to cheer me up. (4)
03- I crave tea, wine, cigarettes, or cigars. (4)
04- When I'm in a bad mood I crave sugar, carbs, foods with a soothing texture or temperature. (3)
05- I don't like it when things are out of place. (2)
06- I don't like it when people are late. (3)
07- I question myself and wonder whether I'll be good enough to reach my goals. (4)
08- I wonder why other people seem to have it so much more together than I do. (3)
09- I feel lonely. (3)
10- I prefer a job where there is not much pressure or where I can work alone without competition or demands. (3)
11- I like to take care of others by cooking. (4)
12- I will eat when others do, just to be polite. (4)
13-  I startle easily or am easily frightened.  (4)
14- I get stuck in anxious thoughts. (4)
15- I'm fearful. (3)
16- I carry tension in my body, especially my neck, back, shoulders, around the temples, or in my jaw. (3)
17- I get headaches. (4)
18- When I have a physical symptom, I worry about what potentially life-threatening disease I might have. (3)
19- I have trouble falling asleep. (3)
20- I don't like to sit still. I either pace, do something with my hands, or have something in my mouth.  (2)
21- I feel nervous. (3)
22- I have the general feeling that things are not going to be ok. (3)
23- I eat to calm myself down. (3)
24- I feel overwhelmed. (3)
25- I don't like change. (3)
26- I consider myself a conflict-avoider or people-pleaser. (3)
27- When things are bad, I have trouble seeing any hopeful possibilities. (2)
28- I use sedating prescription drugs. (0)
29- I have a history of anxiety, panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anorexia, or specific phobias. (4)
30- I have responded favorably to anti-anxiety medications, sleeping pills, etc. (1)
(96)

Are You Ravenous For Dopamine? (from page 106)

01- I feel that I'm not getting enough of one or more of the following: adventure, excitement, new or stimulating life experiences. (3)
02- When I feel blue, my idea of a lift might include one or more of the following: action movies, adventure sports, loud music, screaming, hitting something, acting out, gambling, spending money or casual sex. (2)
03- I crave coffee, energy drinks, soda, sex, cigarettes, cigars, hard liquor or beer. (0)
04- I crave fatty foods; foods that are new, adventurous, or spicy; or foods that have stimulating textures such as crunchy chips or salty popcorn, especially when I am in a bad mood. (3)
05- I don't mind things being out of place. (1)
06- I often procrastinate or show up late. (3)
07- I have gravitated toward jobs that involve risk-taking, competition, and high stakes. (1)
08- I often find myself working with large groups of people and usually enjoy it. (1)
09- I isolate myself and don't like reaching out when I'm in a bad mood. (3)
10- I want things when I want them. (3)
11- I'm not a detail-oriented person. (0)
12- If I haven't reached my goals, that's not my fault. (0)
13- People would say I make impulsive decisions. (1)
14- I have trouble listening. (1)
15- I often wonder what's wrong with other people. (2)
16- I can't finish things. (3)
17- I have trouble staying asleep. (2)
18- I have lost interest in things I once found pleasurable. (2)
19- I like adventure and change. (1)
20- I would rather say what I mean, even if it means hurting someone else's feelings. (1)
21- I have trouble concentrating. (1)
22- I feel bored. (2)
23- I have low energy. (3)
24- I feel restless. (2)
25- I feel hopeless. (1)
26- I find myself crying or tearful. (2)
27- I feel generally dissatisfied with life. (2)
28- I use prescription stimulants in a way I know a Doctor did not intend, or use illegal drugs. (0)
29- I have a history of depression, bipolar disorder, or ADD/ADHD. (4)
30- I have favorably responded to ADD/ADHD stimulant medication, non/stimulant medication, etc. (0)
(58)

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment