Monday, June 10, 2013

The Compound Effect, Finishing Off Ch 05

It is our responsibility to be willing to allow our lives and our minds to be touched, molded, and strengthened by the people who surround us.  (pg 135)

III. Environment: Changing Your View Changes Your Perspective

The dream in your heart may be bigger than the environment in which you find yourself.  Sometimes you have to get out of that environment to see that dream fulfilled.

Create a positive environment to support your success, by clearing out all the clutter in your life, the mental clutter of whatever around you is not working, whatever is broken, whatever makes you cringe.  Each and every incomplete thing in your life exerts a draining force on you, sucking the energy of accomplishment and success out of you as surely as a vampire stealing your blood.  Every incomplete promise, commitment, and agreement saps yoru strength because it blocks your momentum and inhibits your ability to move forward.  Incomplete tasks keep calling you back to the past to take care of them. 

YOU get in life what YOU tolerate.

What you have decided to tolerate (passive receiver) is also reflected in the situations and circumstances of your life right now.

You will get in life what you accept and expect you are worthy of.

If you tolerate disrespect, you will be disrespected.  If you tolerate people being late and making you wait, people will show up late for you.  If you tolerate being underpaid and overworked, that will continue for you.  If you tolerate being underpaid and overworked, that will continue for you.  If you tolerate your body being overweight, tired, and perpetually sick, it will be.

Your life will organize around the standards you set for yourself.

Protect your emotional, mental, and physical space so you can live with peace, rather than in the chaos and stress the world will hurl upon you.  (pgs 138-139)


-------------------------------------
Summary Action Steps:

01- What is the influence that the input of media and information, is having on my life?  What input do I need to protect my mind from and how am I going to keep my mind regularly flushed with positive, uplifting and supportive input?

I do not watch local news.  I do watch crime shows such as Criminal Minds.  I do watch shows such as Restaurant Stake-Out, Restaurant Impossible, Hell's Kitchen and Bar Rescue.  History and space programs are my most dominant type of preferred shows to watch.  Other than the end of the Jodi Arias trial and the weather channel, I do not really watch much media type programming.  I am not sure how my choices in programming would negatively affect my life. 

The input I need to protect my mind from is the negative thinking of people that are in my life.  At this point in my life, I feel the only option I have is to "invest" in Positive, Inspirational, Motivational, Uplifting and Supportive reading (PIMUS).  At some point I may invest in some audio tapes, but there is not a large need now, due to the fact that I do not spend a lot of time driving.  I cannot completely divest my life of negativity right now, but I can keep running the clean water (PIMUS) thru the muck, keeping some kind of control over the depth of the muck.

02- Evaluate my current associations.  Who might you need to further limit association with?  Who might I need to dis-associate from?  What ways will I expand my associations?

This is a difficult one to work with right now.  I need to build myself so that I have more of an ability to re-evaluate my current associations. 

03- Pick a peak-performance partner.  Decide when, how regularly, and what you will hold each other accountable to, and what ideas you will expect the other to bring to the conversation.

I guess my peak-performance partner would have to be Mary Jo.  I need to cultivate this opportunity and make more effort to be committed to the "program".

04- What are three areas of my life I am most focused on improving.  Find a mentor....could be an expert who has written down their ideas in books or recorded their ideas on CDs.

~Education, ~Self-Image/Confidence, ~Positive Thinking.
My mentor will be found in published authors who can help lead me in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------

Personal Thoughts:

It's really difficult for me to reach out and find a "peak-performance partner", AKA Accountability Buddy.  I would prefer it to be someone who I could hang-out with, and be motivated just by the accountability you get when you interact with someone on a daily basis.  I know Mary Jo is interested in a healthier lifestyle and this is why I am choosing her.  I just will have to rely on phone calls, and that means I have to reach out as well.

When it comes to mentors, I was worried about the possibility that it might need to be someone physically active in my life.  I finally found the part that said it could be someone in the form of a published author, and this was a relief.  I can continuously choose motivating and inspirational reading to maintain this need.

How do you work on associations when you do not have the full ability to evaluate all of your associations?  I have some things I cannot or will not change at this time, and I am simply going to have to A- work around them, and B- immerse myself in PIMUS reading.

I AM working on my education and this will give me choices in the long-run, it is an investment in my future.  I AM working on the positive thinking by PIMUS reading.  Hopefully these two areas will spill over onto the Self-Confidence/Image issues.

The reading assignment today really touched me in the aspect that I have been a passive receiver.  I have allowed people to walk all over me.  I have allowed people to disrespect me.  I think my example of being a passive receiver, has spilled over onto one of my daughters.

Ultimately I recognize now that I cannot blame others, situations and bad-luck, for my choices.  I can acknowledge the role they played, in conjunction to my bad choices.  It comes down to the fact that every choice I made turned into a behavior that became a habit over time.  My choices became my outcome.  I chose to become a passive receiver; no one but me is responsible for that.  I am in control of my future and the choices I make today will result in my future outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment