Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"Vegan Before 6", Dr Oz show

Last night I watched the DVR'd Dr. Oz show I had saved.  It was an interesting show, and I got interested initially because of the "3-Day Jump-Start Detox" segment.  I decided to do the Ultimate Reset, beginning today 05/01/2013, and this was along the same line of thinking.  The Ultimate Reset detoxes and cleanses your body from the effects of harmful food choices.  It was the next segment, called "The Vegan Before Dinnertime Diet" by Mark Bittman, that I am going to write about now.

"The Vegan Before Dinnertime Diet", or VB6, is an interesting concept.  I think it was designed to give those who struggle with sticking to a diet, a daily moment to taste what they're missing while on a "diet".  Basically the idea is to eat strictly Vegan during the day, up until 6 pm, and then eat anything you want - in the form of a reasonable dinner - after 6 pm.  So if you want some chips, you eat them after 6 pm.  If you want pasta with alfredo sauce, you eat it after 6 pm.  If you want meat, you eat it after 6 pm.  

The problem I have with this is that, at least for me, if I open the door to "anything I want", then I am going to push those boundaries.  I know me!  I know I will eat more than a reasonable dinner, and I know I will push the boundaries on how late to eat.  I also know that anything I eat after 6 pm affects the scale the next morning.  Now Dr. Oz did interject and suggest that it be limited to 6-8 pm, and while I appreciate that and it makes it more reasonable, again I fall back to the knowledge that I would push the 8 pm limit.  

This was interesting to watch and learn about, and while I am still interested in the concept of being able to have "anything I want" (mainly meat) once a day, I am not sure that I would be able to handle the "anything I want" after 6 pm.  Perhaps this could be adapted to "Vegan Before 6, Carnivore at Dinnertime".  What do you think of that idea?  I'd still want to stick with the part Dr. Oz added, making dinnertime a limited 6-8 pm.  

Why haven't I gone Vegan, or Vegetarian?  I am a meat eater.  I do love steak, but I do not like what happens with cows and pigs when they're on their way to slaughter.  I have been trying to get away from pork and beef.  If you watch the video "Food Inc" (you can find parts of it on YouTube, and the entire movie on Netflix), or "Vegucated" (available on Netflix and Hulu), you will see why and what happens (to some degree).  I just want no part in that.  So for me, now I battle the beef cravings, in the hope that someday I won't have the struggle any longer.   I still eat chicken occasionally, their fate doesn't bother me as much as cows and pigs.  Fish I have no issues with.  Love 'em!

Pescetarianism (pron.: /ˌpɛskɨˈtɛəriən/) (also spelled pescatarianism) is the practice of a diet that includes seafood, but not the flesh of other animals. A pescetarian diet shares many of its components with a vegetarian diet and includes vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy, but unlike a vegetarian diet also includes fish and shellfish. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it as: "one whose diet includes fish but no other meat.  (from Wiki)

I could see me being Pescetarianism, the problem is that I cannot remember the word and I have no clue how to pronounce it.

So......I guess I'm done for the moment, it's time for lunch.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment