Friday, May 31, 2013

The Compound Effect, pgs 43-54 (Moment-To-Moment Choices)

My life is the product of my moment-to-moment choices. (page 53)

My outcomes are all a result of my moment-to-moment choices.  I have the incredible power to change my life by changing my choices.  Step by step, day by day, my choices will shape my actions until they become habits, where practice makes them permanent. (page 53)

Eliminate sabotaging habits and instill the needed positive habits, and I can take my life in any direction I desire, to the heights of my imagination. (page 53)

Summary Action Steps:

1) What area, person, or circumstance do I struggle with the most?

 --Me.  I put unnecessary hurdles in my path.  I am grateful for how my body has put up with me so far.  Action: I am grateful that I am not high-maintenance.  I am grateful for this fire inside of me that won't quit, and which refuses to be "put out".
--Finances.  I cave in to pressure too easily, and then I find myself angry afterwards because I chose to not stay within my own limits.  I enjoy doing for others, but sometimes I let others take advantage of my generosity.  Action: I am thankful to have money to pay bills with, pay for a roof over my head, pay for a vehicle to drive, and all of the basic luxuries of life.
--Health.  I know what I should be doing and that is not matching what I am doing.  I need to start making the little changes that will improve my long-term results.  Action:  Again, I am thankful that my body has put up with me so far.  I am thankful that I have enough sense to avoid many obstacles that others put-up with.

2) Where in my life am I not taking 100% responsibility for the success or failure of my present:

--I am not taking responsibility for my financial limits.  I am not taking full responsibility for my health.  I am not taking responsibility for my productiveness, or lack of.

Three things that I have done, that messed things up.
--I let my integrity go in a volunteer job.
--I pursued a marriage with someone I should never have married.
--I began a food addiction that has controlled more than half of my life.

Three things that I should have done but didn't:
--I should have tried to be a single parent.
--I should have focused on college the first time around.
--I should have pursued a career path.

Three things that happened to me, but I responded poorly:
--I went from one controlling situation into a controlling marriage.
--I let negative thinking take up too much space in my head.
--I allowed others to negatively influence/effect certain aspects of my life.
--Instead of taking responsibility for my choices, I pointed fingers.

Three things I can start doing right now to take back responsibility for the outcomes of my life:
--I can start making changes in my diet and exercise.
--I can stay within my financial limits and on track toward goals.
--I can continue with college classes and open up options in the future.

3) I am going to invest more fully in tracking my diet, exercise and finances.  I will continue working toward my bachelor's degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment