Thursday, May 30, 2013

Compound Effect, pgs 32-43 (Be Aware of Choices)

The area in my life that I want to be most successful in, 
after "being a mom", is in my finances.

My top 5 list would be:
(2-5 are not necessarily in order of importance)
1- I want to be a good mom.
2- I want to be financially fit.
3- I want to be healthy.
4- I want to lose weight.
5- I want to successfully, with a high GPA, gain a bachelor's degree.

The first step toward change is awarenessYou have to be aware of your choices.

Track every action: Track every penny spent.  Track every bite you eat. Track every pound you lose/gain.  Track your progress at school.  Write it all down, one way or another.
I am going to start tracking every penny I spend, on 05/30/2013.
(I am referring to the careless money I spend, not my monthly, regular bills.)

I am going to diligently start tracking every food/drink I consume, on 05/30/2013.

Notes:
No matter what has happened, take complete responsibility.  (page 33)

I made the many choices to ignore obvious red flags and warning signs.  In the end, I am responsible for the results. (page 33)

When we choose to make the smallest changes and corrections consistently, over time we will see the results. Chances are that no one's going to notice them anytime soon.  There will be no applause.  No one is going to offer you congratulations.  Eventually, the compound effect will result in an exceptional payoff.   It is the littlest disciplines that pay off over time.  (pgs 42-43)
Something to think about:
$4.00 a day spent on a daily Starbucks drink, may not seem like much right now.  Over time that daily expenditure adds up.  After one year of $4.00 a day Starbucks visits, you will have spent approximately $1,095.  After five years, $6497; ten years $16,099; twenty years $51,834.

Think about that in terms of a pack of cigarettes a day (@ $6 a pack).
Think about that in terms of a bottle of soda a day (@ $1.60 a bottle).
Think about the cost of ONE value meal a day at McDonald's. (@ $7.00 a meal).

1 comment: