Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Compound Effect, Chapter 1

The Compound Effect, by Darren Hardy:
From what I have read of this book so far, I see a lot of stuff that makes sense to me.

I'm one who likes to sit down and read a book from start to finish, ASAP.
It is going to take some discipline, but I am going to take a page from
"The Tortoise and the Hare" and read it slow and steady.

Excuses I Am Using:
- "I'll start tomorrow!"
- My past.
- My present.
- "Why bother?  No one else cares, why should I?"

Small Steps:
- Read something inspirational or motivational every day.
- Learn something new every day.
- Log my diet every day.
- Start taking one Omega-3 Krill Oil daily.
- Accomplish something every day.
- Pay myself daily, for success on previous 5 small steps.
- Stay the course with my class requirements.

Stop The Backward Thinking:
- Do not put off until tomorrow, what I can do today.
- Do not let my past influence my future.
- What I do today, has an effect on my tomorrow.
- I care, therefore it matters to me!

I have succeeded when I focus on the goal ahead.
I have succeeded in raising decent children with morals.
I have succeeded in removing myself from unhealthy associations.
I have succeeded in overcoming my fears about getting a college education.
I have succeeded in discovering the path to my long-term goals.
I have successfully maintained good grades in my college classes.

Chapter 1 Notes:
Root of the matter:
-Instead of seeing that poor choices and behaviors are the root of the problem, people find fault with others. (page 15)
- Believing somone else is wrong, rather than looking inside and doing the necessary work to clean up our own messes, is basic Psychology 101 stuff. (page 15)

Perseverence & Success:
- We have to keep working, consistently and efficiently, before we can begin to see the payoff. (page 17)
- The secret to success is hard work, discipline, and good habits. (page 17)
-  If we want to succeed, we need to recover our grandparents' work ethic. (page 19)

Complacence:
- We have to be on guard to not "become like the frog in the boiling water that doesn't jump to his freedom because the warming is so incremental and insidious, that he doesn't notice he's getting cooked." (page 18-19)

3 comments:

  1. Complacency is a big one for people, never making any new moves in ones life. I get really frustrated with this one and blaming others is such an easy trap to fall into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Desiree! This could have been me writing this as sooo much applies to me also!
    Keep digging deep inside and you will be amazed at what you will find :) It's all good in there and I love what an amazing persone you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting information, worth recommending. However, I recommend this: the compound effect book

    ReplyDelete