Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dr Oz - Toxic Sabotage

I'm sitting here watching Dr Oz and his Toxic Sabotage show.  Wow. 

In the first relationship featured on the show, the family shown is a mother and daughter.  The mother sabotaging her daughter with her words.  I don't think that in all cases, the "sabotager" knows or understands how their words hurt.  I can see in this relationship that the mother is not fully clued in to how her words hurt.  When I look at my father, I think he is more like this mother.  He may have had good intentions with his words, but he did not understand that the way he was going about it, was not healthy for me.  His words didn't motivate, they devastated me and caused me to retreat within myself.  When the psychologist on the show called the mother a "bully" and explained why she was a bully, I was able to understand that my father was being a bully as well.

The third relationship featured a diabetic woman and her "cook" husband.  Of course, he's thin and she's heavy.  You don't even have to go past this description, to see an initial similarity here.  The man cooks good food, but not the kind of food that his wife should be eating.  How many times have I talked about how my husband makes cakes, cookies, fudge, rice crispies, and other sweet treats!  While his soda does not tempt me at all, the chips, M & M's, cinnamon rolls, and some of the junk food he consumes....that DOES tempt me.  I cannot keep it out of my house, and I am not totally able to ignore it when it's in the house.  I don't think he fully understands what I am up against, just like the husband in this show....either that or he doesn't care.  It's easy, I think, for a person who does not have health issues or a weight problem, to not understand why another person struggles.

The thing that I struggle with most here, is that I feel like I am the only one in my relationships, who recognizes the problems and who is willing to work on change.  How do you succeed in change when the other person in the relationship, is not willing to admit that they are part of the problem?

My life is at stake.  I do face potential blindness, possible kidney failure, possible amputation and even possibly dying....IF I do not get things together and healthy.   I cannot continue to ignore my problem.  It's not going away.  I can only possibly control the negatives by working on my health.

The way I feel right now, I feel like I have to find a way to TOTALLY control and discipline myself, or continue along my path of bad decisions and eventually I die. 

It's hard to be strong enough to control and discipline myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment